How to Change Address in Driving License Online/offline?
Generally, people have to shift from one place to another permanently or on a temporary basis. So, they need to make changes in their important documents as well which in turn takes time and process. In the case of DL, you can learn about the process of how to change address in driving license.
A driver's license is required to drive a vehicle anywhere in India legally. It also serves as an important document that can be used as a proof of ID or an address proof. Failure to obtain a valid license is a criminal offense, under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. Therefore, keeping accurate details in your driver's license is very important.
To make address changes in your driving license, there are 2 options which you can proceed with. Firstly, you can go for the digital option which is to apply online by visiting the official website of Sarathi, a portal owned by the Department of Roads and Highways. While applying offline, you will receive your updated driver's license by post within 30 days of applying. Check below the step-wise guidance to change your address in driving license.
Procedure on how to change address in driving license
People who have changed their permanent residence, or at least for a while, need to make changes to their driver's license. There are two options to change your address on a driver's license. The first and most preferred option is to make it online, and the second is to refer to the local RTO to make the change. Therefore, they need to apply to the Regional Transport Office to ensure that the change is reflected in their driver's license. This requires a number of steps, such as obtaining a No Objection Certificate or a Clearance Certificate from the RTO that issued you with a driver's license. Once you have that, you can visit your nearest RTO to apply for a change of address.
• To change your address on your DL, you need a caste certificate and an income certificate, both issued by Tahsildar, in case you do not have any other proof of ID.
• In line with this, people need to bring another ID and proof of address in order to complete their applications.
• A caste certificate proves that a person belongs to a certain caste, and can be obtained by applying online or by visiting local government institutions and offices near where you live.
• Obtain a form to change your RTO address form and fill it up with determination.
• Once you have all the required documents, you should visit the nearest RTO and meet with an officer.
• The administrator will inspect all your documents and verify their process.
• They will keep you informed of the processing fee, which is usually INR 500.
• When you pay the required fee, you will receive a receipt that serves as a consent/acknowledgement slip.
• Usually you will receive your updated driver's license by post within 30 days of applying.
• In the event that you change states, the application will require NOC.
• However, if you move to a different location in the same area, the Clearance Certificate will be sufficient to make the change.
1. Clearance Certificate / No Certificate of Resistance
2. Form No. 7
3. Change of Address Form
4. Post cover
5. Aadhaar Card
6. Proof of presence in India, if you are a foreigner
7. Passport size Photo
8. Proof of current residential address - voter ID, ration card, Bills
9. In the event that you do not have proof of address as mentioned above, you may submit any of the following:
Caste certificate and income certificate
Salary slip if you are a central or state government employee
Sworn affidavit before Magistrate / Notary Public / First-Class Judicial Magistrate
The fee for changing the address in a driving license is INR 500.
• Visit the official website of Sarathi, a company owned by the Department of Roads and Highways.
• From the list of provinces/states provided, select your state, as shown below.
• Click on "Apply online" and select the "Driving License Services" option.
• Read the instructions in the dialog box carefully, and then click Continue to proceed.
• Next, enter the required information such as driver's license number, date of birth, and State.
• Select the appropriate RTO and click the “Continue/Proceed” button.
• The page appears with all the details mentioned. Confirm the details shown and click "Confirm" to continue.
• Next, select the required service and click the "Continue" button.
• In case you need NOC, click the "Issue of NOC" button.
• Enter the required information and fill captcha and click “Submit”.
• When the consent/acknowledgement form is available, click on "Continue/Proceed" to continue.
• To upload the required documents, click on "Upload Documents" and "Next".
• Select the proof of address you want to upload from the list of documents, and then upload the same.
• Similarly, upload proof of age in the list of documents, then click on the “Confirm” button.
• Next, select the "Form-1" option and upload the required form.
• Next, click on "Upload photo and signature" and upload both in the required format and size.
• When you have successfully uploaded both, a message appears. Once it is done, click the "Next" button.
• Next, select “DL Slot Book” to continue.
• Verify all details and select the vehicle category.
• Choose the correct date and time, and then click the “Slot Book” button.
• Click the "Confirm slot booking" button. Once you have done that, you will receive an SMS to your registered number related to the same.
• Once the nomination/appointment letter is processes, click Print to download a copy for future use.
• Finally, select the "Payment" option.
• Click the "click here to continue e-payment" and complete the payment process.
• When you have paid successfully, you will receive a confirmation/acknowledgment message. Print receipt for future use.
• Once your application has been approved, you can print a copy online. To do so, click on the "Print Driver's License" option, enter your application number and date of birth and then click "Submit".
Entire procedure on how to change the address in a driving license can be done easily by following the step-by-step guide mentioned above. Get your address change in your driving license at a faster pace and save your time.