The Department of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has launched the e-ShodhSindhu (eSS) Consortium by merging the UGC-INFONET Digital Library Consortium, NLIST, with the INDEST-AICTE Consortium. INFLIBNET Center, such as the standard eSS organization and the UGC-INFONET Digital Library Consortium dealing with e-resources, payment services, usage analysis, etc. and online information on various subjects from a large number of publishers to its member institutions compiled under sections 12 (B) and 2 (f) of the UGC Act.
The main purpose is to provide access to electronic resources which means e-books, e-journals, e-journal archives, online databases at their member's institutions at registered rates. The objectives of the eSS Consortium are as follows:
· Establish a regular collection of e-journals, e-journal archives, and e-books
· Promoting the use of e-resources at its member universities, colleges, and technical institutes in India through awareness and training programs
· Provide access to subject-based information such as e-books and journals to all educational institutions, Shubrangshu Kumar Mistri SRELS Journal of Information Management | Vol 55 (6) | December 2018 331
· Provide access to student content accessible through open access through topic sites and topic portals
· Closing digital diversity and looking at an information-rich society
· Initiate additional activities and services that require a collaborative forum and are not performed by existing attorneys, too
· Continuing to make the National Library with electronic magazines and electronic books as its main components.
Objectives of the Study:
The main purpose of e-Shodh Sindu: The Consortia of Education E-Resources is to produce access to electronic and complete resources, listings, and factual information in educational institutions at a low subscription rate. the main objectives and goals of the e-Shodh Sindhu local unit are given below.
· Assessing the use and awareness of E-Resources by experts and research experts
· Learn about the frequent use of E-Resources by experts and research experts
· Identifying problems in accessing E-Resources online by smart members and research experts
· Assessing levels of satisfaction of academic and research experts on the use of E-Resources at the e-ShodhSindhu Consortium
· User preferences for using E-Resources printed resources vis-à-vis.
E-Resources Subscribed by University of North Bengal:
The following E-Resources are registered by the University of North Bengal at ShodhSindhu Consortium.
· Annual Reviews (Full-text Journal)
· Economic and Political Weekly (Full-text Journal)
· American Physical Society (Full-text Journal)
· Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID) (Database)
· JGate Plus (JCCC) (Database)
· JSTOR (Database)
· American Institute of Physics (Full-text Journal)
· Oxford University Press eSS Collection-262 (Full-text Journal)
· Project Muse (Database)
· MathSciNet (Database)
· American Chemical Society (Full-text Journal)
· Springer Link 1700 Collection and Nature Journal (Full-text Journal)
· Taylor and Francis (Full-text Journal)
· Web of Science (Database)
· Elsevier ScienceDirect – eSS 10 Subject Collection (Full-text Journal)
INFLIBNET Access Management Federation (INFED), the primary Federation in the Republic of India, has adopted Shibboleth, a standard-based open supply code, for authenticating licensed users from faculties and universities and supply them seamless access to e-resources from anyplace, anytime.
The INFLIBNET Centre, mutually of its core mandates, provides access to academic e-resource to universities and faculties in the Republic of India underneath the e-ShodhSindhu. The INFED is being set-up as a centralized agency to coordinate with member establishments within the method of implementation of user authentication and access management mechanism distributed across collaborating establishments victimization standardized rules and information for exchange of attributes.
In order to beat this limitation, the INFLIBNET Access Management Federation (INFED) has adopted Shibboleth, a standard-based open supply computer code, for authenticating licensed users from establishments and supply them seamless access to e-resources from anyplace, anytime. Shibboleth offers a mechanism for users to access multiple resources inside a federated single sign-on framework. The goal of the INFED is to permit users to access internal and external resources seamlessly employing a single, institutionally controlled identity. this could not solely enable licensed users to access e-resources from anyplace, anytime however would additionally circumvent the necessity of maintaining multiple passwords for multiple resources in multiple domains.
Objectives of INFED:
The INFLIBNET Centre joined of its core mandates, provides access to profound e-resource to universities and faculties in India underneath the e-ShodhSindhu. The INFED is being set-up as a centralized agency to coordinate with member establishments within the method of implementation of user authentication and access management mechanism distributed across collaborating establishments victimization standardized rules and information for exchange of attributes.
The major objectives of INFED are as follows:
· To identify associate degree, deploy applicable access management tools with an aim to optimize usage of e-resources and to confirm higher Returns on Investment (RoI)
· to supply bigger flexibility to licensed users sanctionative them to access e-resources anytime from their campuses, home or maybe whereas traveling
· To encourage and assist member establishments to set-up their own freelance identity management system thus on attest and authorized users
· To act as Identity supplier for all establishments that don’t have requisite technical experience and ICT infrastructure to set-up their own identity supplier services
· To outline uniform sets of ordinary rules and information for exchanging standardized attributes between establishments as identity suppliers and publishers as service suppliers within the method of authentication of licensed users.
· To determine and manage the trust relationships between resource suppliers (publishers), member establishments, and federation operators.
The INFED presently has the subsequent four categories of participants area unit eligible to hitch the federation. All establishments got to apply for the membership of INFED on the prescribed application form:
Universities & CFTIs: All Govt. / Govt.-aided universities coated underneath Section 12(B) and a pair of (F) Section of the UGC Act, 1956 and every one Inter-University Centre (IUCs) of the UGC, IITs, IISc, IISERs, NITs, etc. that area unit eligible to induce access to e-resources through the e-ShodhSindhu syndicate area unit eligible to participate within the INFED.
Colleges: All Govt. / Govt.-aided schools coated underneath 12(B) and 2(F) Section of the UGC Act, 1956 that area unit having access to e-resources through the National Library and data Infrastructure for academic Content (N-LIST) area unit already enclosed in INFED.
Private Universities/schools and alternative Institutions: The Federation could enable non-public universities, non-public schools, and alternative organizations to participate when getting approval from the competent authority.
Publishers: All publishers providing access to e-resources underneath the e-ShodhSindhu syndicate or NLIST Programme area unit will be members of the INFED. but it's hospitable for everybody to be a neighborhood of INFED.
Core Members of the e-ShodhSindhu pool:
INFED doesn't propose to charge any fee from the core member universities / CFTIs of the e-ShodhSindhu pool. However, because the employment and membership information will increase for core members, INFED might propose a nominal membership fee for core member universities.
Universities/faculties falling into classes mentioned ineligibility of membership might submit their application besides a signed participation agreement. The federation might request extra info with relevancy taking part establishment.
Participating universities and faculties or Service suppliers square measure needed to assign its officers and/or college as its body and Technical contacts to the INFED.
Universities/faculties coated below the 12(B) and 12(F) Section of the UGC Act would be accepted as members of the INFED on receipt of application beside signed agreement beside a photocopy of notification issued by the UGC concerning 12(B) and a pair of (F) standing of the university. Application from alternative establishments/analysis organizations would be examined and accepted on a case-to-case basis.
Colleges and Associate Members of the e-ShodhSindhu pool
The Fee for INFED is in-built into the Membership Fee being charged from faculties for the N-LIST Programme and from Associate Members of the e-Shodh Sindhu pool. As such, faculties and Associate Members of the e-ShodhSindhu pool don't get to pay any extra fee for connexion INFED