Last Update on :


The Public Grievances Commission regulates a thorough instrument for the compelling redressal of complaints got from individuals from general society. Approaching complaints/objections are coordinated against the various divisions under the purview of the Government of the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, its nearby bodies, endeavors/different associations, possessed or considerably financed by the Government of Delhi. Delhi Police has likewise been brought under the Commission. 

In the activity of its capacities, the PGC has a similar proportion of practical self-governance and autonomy as the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).

Public grievances

The Government of NCT of Delhi with the earlier endorsement of the Central Government, Ministry of Home Affairs has set up a Public Grievances (Commission) with the end goal of giving a complete component to redressal of complaints of general society against the Departments of the GNCT of Delhi, Delhi Police and Local Bodies, Autonomous Organizations/Undertakings and different foundations claimed or significantly financed by the Government of Delhi. The Commission was set up vide a Resolution dated 25th September 1997 as a practically autonomous body, liable for the rapid redressal of objections of the general population, to make a move against demonstrations of exclusion or commission with respect to public authorities working in the associations of the Delhi Government and to suggest such activity as thought about important for expulsion of such complaints.


  • Any influenced individual may submit a question, to the Commission giving explicit subtleties of the case upheld by pertinent documents. 

  • The candidate is likewise needed to swear a testimony on plain paper affirming the accuracy of the realities given by him and furthermore that the topic of the objection it isn't sub-judice. On getting the objection, the remarks of the Departments are called for and afterward the Commission hears the complainant and the officials together so as to discover a solution.

  • The hearing additionally encourages the assessment of nonexclusive issues which go to the Commission's notification, preliminary to passing orders.

  • The help of a lawful expert isn't allowed. (The Commission additionally engages applications sent by post.)


  • The Commission calls for such records and request such authorities as thought about essential, likewise calls the complainant, hears him and goes to a brisk choice regarding whether there has been any neglect with respect to the authorities concerned.

  • The Commission lays accentuation on the expedient removal of complaints. Under the Resolution of the Government, it is officeholder on the officials of the Government of NCT just as the Commissioner of Delhi Police to guarantee that the archives called for by the Commission are outfitted to it inside the time period determined and furthermore to guarantee that authorities, assuming any, brought by the Commission show up before it at such time and date as fixed for the purpose.

  • The Commission passes talking orders and in situations where it is held that the claims made against the authorities concerned are at first sight built up, the Commission prescribes move to be made against the failing authorities.


Any violated individual may present an inquiry recorded as a printed copy to the Secretary of the Commission giving unequivocal nuances of his objection or all around. See Grievance Redressal Form : Click The dissent should be properly maintained by the going with: 

•Supporting chronicles like the application, etc made by the complainant to the divisions/Public Body or the affiliation decided above and the inaction or an unseemly exercises taken by the concerned position/office on the same. 

•Duplicate of solicitation passed by any of the specialists of these Departments/Bodies (yet not being the arrangements of any neighbourly/criminal Courts, Tribunals legitimate or semi lawful pros) justifying grumbling to the complainant. 

•An appropriately sworn attestation on plain paper must be archived by the complainant certifying the rightness of real factors/claims made by him in the application and besides containing a declaration that the subject of the protest isn't sub-judice under the watchful eye of any official court or lawful or semi lawful force.



QUESTION: What is Public Grievances Commission?

ANSWER: The Public Grievances Commission (PGC) was set up with the prior approval of the Central Government, Ministry of Home Affairs conveyed vide Ministry of Home Affairs, D.O. letter No. 14011/40/95-Delhi dated 26th June, 1997. The PGC came into being under a Resolution No. F.4/14/94-AR dated September 25, 1997 issued by the Government of NCT of Delhi.


QUESTION: Who can approach Public Grievances Commission?

ANSWER: Any person affected by the acts of omission or commission including cases of inaction or harassment or extortion or corruption or abuse of power and authority on the part of the officials of the departments of Government of NCT of Delhi including Delhi Police and its local bodies, autonomous organizations/undertakings and other institutions owned or substantially financed by the Government of NCT of Delhi including Delhi Police.


QUESTION: Cases not entertained by Public Grievances Commission?

ANSWER :(1)Where the complaint made is anonymous and contains vague or superfluous allegations. (2)Where the matter is sub-judice in any court of law, tribunal or a judicial or quasi-judicial authority. (3)Where the complainant has not exhausted the channels of remedies available to him in the concerned Department / Organization. Where the complaints are by the Serving Government (1) Officials against their Departments. (2)Where the complaint pertains to service matters. (However, complaints relating to the grant of terminal benefits like Pension, GPF/Gratuity to retired Govt. employees may be accepted by the Public Grievances Commission).


QUESTION: Can a retired official approach Public Grievances Commission for his retirement benefits?



QUESTION: How to lodge a complaint with Public Grievances Commission?

ANSWER: Any person having a grievance against officials working in the Departments and Organizations of Govt. of Delhi can approach the Commission for redressal. The Public Grievances Commission has set up a Facilitation / Reception Counter at the Ground Floor of M-Block, Vikas Bhawan (near ITO).The Commission also receives complaints online at the e-mail address given overleaf and at the Commission’s website Any person aggrieved, as aforesaid, can submit a complaint in writing in plain paper (in duplicate) addressed to the Secretary, Public Grievances Commission giving specific details of his / her grievance duly supported by the following documents:

a. Where the complaint made is anonymous and contains vague and superfluous allegations;

b. Where the matter is sub-judice in any court of Law, Tribunal or a Judicial or a Quasi-Judicial Authority;

c. Where the complainant has not exhausted the channels available to him within the concerned Department/Organization;

d. Where the complaints are by the Government Officials against their Department;

e. Where the complaint pertains to service matters (However, complaints relating to the grant terminal benefits like Pension/GPF/Gratuity to retired Government employees are being accepted.)


QUESTION: How the grievances are redressed?

ANSWER: The Commission may at its discretion, call for an Action Taken Report (ATR) from the concerned Department against whom the complaint has been made. The PGC would then schedule a hearing to the complainant in person and ascertain the exact nature and extent of grievance. The Commission usually summons both the parties i.e. the complainant and the Department to get the issue resolved in its presence. However, THE HELP OF AN ADVOCATE OR A LEGAL PRACTITIONER IS NOT PERMITTED DURING THE HEARING.


QUESTION: What is the time limit for hearing?

ANSWER: Generally within 7 days report is called for from the respondent Department and case is listed for hearing within 4-5 weeks.


QUESTION: What is Fast Track hearing?

ANSWER: The Public Grievances Commission will conduct Fast Track hearing of grievances received in the following categories :

i) Persistent harassment of senior citizens.

ii) Non-payment of pensionary benefits / any other dues pending for more than six months.

iii) Non-registration of FIR in heinous crimes including sexual harassment and rape.

iv) Persistent cases of choking of drains, leakage of sewage pipes and contaminated potable water.

v) Any other matter decided by Chairman, PGC and / or member, PGC.


QUESTION: Are the Public Grievances Commission’s orders binding upon respondent department?

ANSWER:As per the resolution The Commission shall, on conclusion of the hearing of the complaint, pass an appropriate “speaking” order and in cases where it is held that the allegations made against the officials concerned are prima facie established, the Commission shall also recommend action to be taken against the erring officials. The recommendations thus made by the Commission shall be given due consideration by the appropriate administrative authority for its speedy implementation. However, there the appropriate administrative authority on the basis of the merits of the case taken a contrary view, it shall communicate to the Commission, in writing, specific reasons because of which its recommendations could not be accepted. If the Commission is not satisfied with the reasons indicated for non-implementation of its recommendations, it shall be reflected as a case of non-acceptance of Commission’s recommendations in its annual report.


QUESTION: Where should a person file appeal under Delhi RTI Act, 2001?



QUESTION: Can a person file 2nd appeal under RTI Act, 2005 in PGC?

ANSWER: No. 2nd appeal can be filed only in Central Information Commission (CIC).


QUESTION: Is any fee prescribed for filing grievance petition?



QUESTION: Is any fee prescribed for filing an appeal under Delhi RTI Act, 2001?

ANSWER: Yes as per the provisions of the rules under this act.


QUESTION: Is there any form to file the complaints / grievances?

ANSWER: No. The complaint may be filed in a plane paper neatly written or typed preferably in Hindi or English.

Total Views : 40